What is Sub 5’s Common Sense & Common Courtesy Policy?
It means that we trust that most people are well meaning and can live side by side with respect for each other. When it comes to an endurance event during a pandemic, it means also caring about your fellow runner & respecting their choices and health.
We studied the statistics and found that the more open states (less rules) seemed to have less covid cases than the more closed states. The studies found that essentially, people will do what’s right to keep themselves and others safe. We feel that runners are even more so willing to help their fellow runners. We proved it with our Oct race and we do not see why runners would change.
Because of all of the above factors, yes, we will be implementing some precautions per guidelines given to us by the state of NH and USATF…..HOWEVER……
we are not going to turn this event into a prison where everyone has to follow 100 rules.
Here is what we will be doing and what we expect from our workers and our runners.
1) Sub 5 race crew will have a face a covering on when it is clear that we cannot remain 6ft (1 llama length) from people. If you see a crew member without a mask, please look at the whole situation before sending an angry email or FB post. Use common sense. Are they really putting someone else in danger at that current point and time without a mask? These guys (&girls) work hard and the masks can be restrictive. We want them to have access to oxygen when they need it.
2) We will have a registration corral long enough to allow people to line up and stand one llama length apart. You should be able to gauge how far 6ft is by now (@ 1 llama length). We will not be placing circles or marks on the ground. If you see some people closer than 6ft to each other, they are likely friends or family that are ok with being close to each other. Leave them alone. Unless they invade your space, then just let them be.
3) We will be monitoring the line for overcrowding & make adjustments as needed. If you see that the line is too crowded for your comfort level, you are welcome to wait or ask a race crew member for an alternative to waiting in the line.
4) Registration table will have clear plastic between you & the race crew with a small opening to pass your bib and shirt under. If you see our registration crew behind the curtain without a mask, it is because they know it is IMPOSSIBLE for the virus to pass through the curtain and we want you to be able to hear them….and see their great smiles. :). and no, the virus does cannot live on race bibs….HOWEVER, we will have wipes right there for you in case you want to wipe yours down.
5) If you want to wear a mask, please feel free to do so. If you see people without one, unless they are within 6 ft of you, then respect their decision……just like they are respecting yours.
6) The start corral will be big enough to allow all 10 people allowed to all stand 6ft apart if they desire. However, if some groups like family members want to stand closer….then please dont give them the stink eye. Unless they are within 6 ft of you, then respect their decision……just like they are respecting yours.
7) If on the course, you cannot pass with 6ft in between you and the person in front of you, you can A) wait until there is space or B) give a warning that you are going to pass on the LEFT and give them time to move over.
8) At the after party, please adhere to the restaurants rules.
9) We will have hand sanitizing stations all over the venue. USE THEM. And for the love of God (or whoever you believe in) , please wash your hands after using the restroom. We cant believe we had to add that, but we do.
10) If you have a problem or a suggestion for us, we ask that you respectfully email us @ firstname.lastname@example.org with your suggestions or concerns and not go to social media. If you do post, make it polite, positive and helpful. Critical, negative posts do not help anyone improve. They just cause hurt feelings and more isolation. Havent we had enough of that?
11) COURTESY BRACELETS: If you see someone with a yellow bracelet (like they give at water parks), then they are indicating that they need to be a bit more cautious than most of us. Maybe they are a front line health care worker, maybe they live with someone who is high risk….whatever their reason, they want to be out here having fun with us but just ask that you give them a bit more space. Please respect that.
REMEMBER, we want everyone safe and to have fun just as much as you do. Lets do this together and just be nice.